Any committee decision and/or vote which established or changes a policy, sets a procedural plan for a special event, or expends funds in excess of the approved budget, shall require approval by NHI prior to implementation. Each standing committee chair shall submit written reports to the secretary for inclusion in the Monthly Committee Report, and at the end of any specific event coordinated by that commitee. If any monies are expended from an approved budget, a detailed and itemized report shall be included with the committee report.
Contact the Answering Service Commmittee Chair
The Answering Service Committee Chair is responsible for:
- Coordinate telephone answering coverage, ensuring daily coverage.
- Recruit and orient committee members and/or volunteers, supplying them with a list of committee duties and necessary literature.
- Obtain most current meeting list and distribute to committee members and OA volunteers.
- Provide backup for volunteers.
- Tally the number of calls on a monthly basis and report as requested or necessary to NHI.
- Ensure that all phone service work maintain the anonymity of the caller, both inside and outside OA, and accurately represent the OA program.
Contact the Budget Chair
- Call for volunteers to work on budget preparation each year.
- Preside over an annual meeting in the Fall to prepare the budget for the next fiscal year.
- Review each budget line item for possible changes.
- Review expenses and revenues that are outstanding.
- Present proposed budget at November NHI business meeting.
- Present any motions needed at November NHI business meeting to increase budget lines.
Contact the Event Flyer Committee Chair
- Establish a committee to review and approve all event flyers (Sharathons, Back-to-Basics, Retreats, etc.)
- Develop/maintain a checklist/template of the required elements for NHI Event Flyers
- Submit the checklist/template to the Website Committee for posting on NHI website
- Electronically circulate original event flyer to all Committee members for review
- Collate all input and email recommendations to Event Chair for which the flyer was created
- Once approved, electronically circulate the flyer online to the NHI Master Distribution list
Contact the Meeting List Coordinator
- Maintain two meeting lists: One list to include group contact information for distribution at OA meetings only, not for public display. The second list to exclude group contact information, for posting to the internet and other public means of communication.
- Regularly check and respond to emails received at the NHI “Meetings” email address.
- Call meeting contact persons to verify meeting information for any meetings not responding to mail verification.
- Seek volunteers to assist in contacting the meetings that do not send Reps to NHI and to ask them for updates.
- Compare NHI meeting list information to WSO online meeting information. Resolve any discrepancies by contacting and working with the meeting group rep and/or WSO.
- Update the NHI meeting list monthly in Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat.
- Prepare and email the updated lists to the NHI Secretary with the Committee Reports.
- Make and provide 30 copies of the updated list that includes group contact information for Reps to pick up at the NHI meeting.
- Email the updated list to the NHI webmaster and send changes to WSO.
- Inform groups on how to update meeting information at the WSO website and assist groups as needing in making updates online.
Contact the Promises Editor
- Receive and edit articles for PROMISES each month, electronically preparing submissions as necessary. Deadline for submissions is at the discretion of the editor.
- Review other OA publications for information or articles to include in PROMISES.
- Review website for coming events or information to include in PROMISES.
- Contact NHI Treasurer for previous month’s financials for inclusion in PROMISES.
- Contact NHI Chair for any other pertinent information to include in PROMISES.
- Design and Layout PROMISES. Include in every issue:
- The date, time and location of the next NHI business meeting, a summary of NHI financials, and the following verbatim statements:
- Opinions expressed are not the opinions of NHI or OA as a whole.
- Articles and notices must be submitted by the 20th of the month. Articles may be submitted by online using our Promises Submission form or submitted to the committee via USPS: Promises Newsletter, c/o NHI, PO Box 1363, Derry, NH 03038-6363. Material cannot be returned, nor will payment be made. We reserve the right to edit. Other anonymous groups may reprint without permission and “Lifeline, OA’s international magazine, serves as an indispensable ‘meeting-on-the-go.’ Lifeline is available in two versions: a printed magazine and an electronic online magazine, called e-Lifeline. Both contain the same content. See your group Lifeline representative or oa.org/members/lifeline-magazine/.”
- Include any other notices of upcoming activities.
- Contact NH Chair if newsletter will be more than the budgeted 2 page format.
- Arrange with NHI Treasurer for printing costs.
- Print PROMISES as follows: 100 copies for distribution at NHI meeting.
- Attend, distribute and report to NHI monthly meeting.
Contact the Nominating Committee Chair
- Determine which positions are coming up for re-election using the NHI Officers and Committee Chairs speadsheet and which position holders are eligible to run again if they wish to do so.
- Contact position holders whose terms are ending to find out if they wish to run for another term, if eligible.
- Send an email out to all NHI reps outlining which positions are up for re-election so anyone who has an interest is aware of what the possibilities are and encourage them to contact a committee member.
- Contact members who have expressed an interest in a position and confirm that they understand the requirements of the position and any abstinence requirements there may be.
Contact the Public Information Committee Chair
- Form a committee of members of the fellowship who are committed to practicing the twelve steps and twelve traditions of OA.
- Conduct meetings monthly, or as needed, with committee members to implement short and long term projects, as approved by NHI, and develop budgeting for ongoing projects.
- Submit monthly status report for NHI meetings.
Contact the Retreat Chair
- Establish committee.
- Determine date of retreat.
- Determine location.
- Establish costs, deposit requirements, registration deadlines, and scholarships (if applicable).
- Develop and produce advertising flyer/registration form. Includes working with NHI Webmaster to create online registration form.
- Make available to NHI for approval and distribution.
- Secure retreat leader.
- Work with retreat leader to develop theme of retreat.
- Provide support to leader (i.e. copying and supplies), if needed.
- Determine menu requirements and work with facility to ensure compliance.
- Receive registrations and assign rooms.
- Purchase gift for retreat leader.
- Facilitate the retreat.
- Any committee decision and/or vote which establishes or changes a policy, sets a procedural plan for a special event, or expends funds in excess of the approved budget, shall require approval by the NHI prior to implementation.
Contact the Twelfth Step Within Chair
- Strengthen OA by sharing information and ideas that generate recovery within the Fellowship.
- Reach out to those in the Fellowship who still suffer and address the relapse and recovery of our members.
- Encourage existing OA members to become or remain abstinent, to work the Twelve Steps and to give service to the best of their ability.
- Encourage membership retention.
- Work with Intergroup Committees to hold workshops or present sessions at Sharathons.
- Use the Twelfth-Step-Within Handbook and may make and distribute copies of tools and handouts to support Twelfth-Step-Within ideas; To share information and ideas that generate recovery within our fellowship.)
- Qualifications: Anyone who is working his or her own recovery can do this service. Only willingness is needed.
Contact the Ways & Means Chair
- Announce at NHI meetings that anyone with fundraising ideas should contact the chair.
- Encourage others to help (i.e. making selling or promoting).
- Investigate and plan fundraising activities for NHI approval.
- Follow guidelines set down by WSO to insure that traditions are upheld (i.e. no outside enterprise, etc.)
- Write articles for the NHI newsletter announcing fundraising projects, reporting project results and thanking people for their help and support.
- Keep records of income and expenses by project or event.
- Submit revenue to the treasurer for deposit and cost receipts for reimbursement.
- Prepare a report after each event showing gross and net sales.
- Prepare, organize and count inventory before and after our merchandise is sold. It is not mandatory but suggested that Chair transport merchandise to all venues/workshops, retreats and conventions, etc. where NHI can sell its inventory. If Chair cannot attend these events, he/she should find an OA member/volunteer who could be responsible for selling our merchandise.
Contact the Website Committee Chair
- Experience managing websites
- Experience with Content Management Systems (CMS) preferable, but not required
- Knowledge of SEO best practices, Google Analytics, Google Webmaster Tools, and Bing Webmaster Tools preferable, but not required
- Experience with Email
- Includes setting up new accounts & connecting end users to their accounts via POP3, SMTP, or IMAP
- Knowledge of CAN-SPAM legislation & Blacklists preferred, but not required
- Adobe Acrobat (or comparable software) for PDF creation
- Graphic design experience preferable, but not required
- Includes Graphic Design Software (Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks, or other comparable programs)
- Devote at least one hour per month to update the site
- Request, receive, convert, and post final reports from Officers and Committee Chairs
- Includes monthly meeting list, meeting minutes, treasurer’s reports, newsletters, event flyers, the Promises, and other pertinent files
- Repair any broken links
- Including links to other sites such as WSO, Region 6, and other Intergroups within Region 6
- Request, receive, convert, and post final reports from Officers and Committee Chairs
- Create & maintain user list and a user guide for the website
- Assign user names & passwords to those who need access to edit the website
- Includes general instructions regarding how to log into the site, where to go to make changes, and instructions on how to make those changes
- Maintain & update email accounts for NHI members
- Assign user names & passwords for all email accounts
- Provide user guide on how to access email and information needed to setup POP3, SMTP, and IMAP accounts
- Answer correspondence directed to the webmaster in a timely manner (within 48 hours)
- Forward messages that come in through the general web form to the appropriate NHI Officer or Committee Chair
- Prepare an annual budget for website expenses and submit expenses to the Treasurer
- Includes tracking receipts for all website related expenses for reimbursement by treasurer
- Attend & report to NHI monthly Business meetings
- Includes submitting monthly status report on behalf of the website committee
Contact the Workshop Committee Chair
The Workshop Committee Chair is responsible for all workshops produced by NHI. Each type of workshop has different requirements for the committee chair. Please refer to each type of workshop below for more information.
- Establish committee.
- Determine the number of sharathons and schedule for the year, leaving the exact date for the host group to select.
- Invite particular groups to host.
- Assist in developing a schedule of tasks (i.e. topic selection, site selection, publicity, format, set-up, registration, literature, etc.) Groups are most willing if given specific guidance.
- Assist in developing sharathon theme, may be directed by NHI in response to membership needs.
- Assist in securing keynote speakers.
- Procure refreshments and supplies for sharathon.
- Provide guidelines for format or sharathon to ensure upholding traditions.
- If needed, assist in creating and producing initial flyers, program and signage. Any committee decision and/or vote which establishes or changes a policy, sets a procedural plan for a special event, or expends funds in excess of the approved budget, shall require approval by the NHI prior to implementation.
- Contacts potential host groups and locates a host site that can accommodate a large group and three to four breakout sessions.
- Works with a contact from the host group to set a date and time for the workshop.
- Creates a publicity flyer, has it approved by NHI for distribution, and sends it to the website committee to post on the NHI website.
- Recruits speakers for the panel.
- Works with a contact from the host group to coordinate set-up of rooms with spaces to accommodate registration, sale of literature, sale of raffle tickets and/or beverages (at the discretion of the host group) and Ways and Means items.
- Contacts the Ways & Means chair about setting up a table at the workshop.
- Helps the host group contact with newspaper publicity.
- Works with members of the host group to set up rooms and put up signage on the day of the workshop.
- Selects committee members to moderate and monitor time during the workshop.
- Distributes and collects feedback forms from attendees.
- Helps members of the host group restore the facility to its original state after the workshop.
- Prepares reports for NHI business meetings.
- Establish a committee to recognize the strength and unity of the Fellowship worldwide on the last Saturday in February.
- Determine location by exploring the availability and cost to use centrally located sites for the event.
- Recruit Committee members to help with setup, welcome/registration table, raffle tickets, and cleanup.
- Invite other Intergroups to participate/co-sponsor: North Shore, Mass Bay, Southern Maine, and Seacoast Intergroup, etc.
- Request that each Intergroup send one speaker to participate on a panel to address unity and Tradition One in their program.
- Establish costs, rent deposit requirements, and distribute proceeds with participating Intergroups.
- Develop and produce an approved flyer.
- Make flyer copies available to NHI and the other Intergroups for distribution.
- Facilitate the event (speakers, break-out groups, open sharing, ask-it-basket, raffle, etc.).
- Any committee decision and/or vote which establishes or changes a policy, sets a procedural plan for a special event, or expends funds in excess of the approved budget, shall require approval by NHI prior to implementation.
This website is maintained by the New Hampshire Intergroup (NHI) of Overeaters Anonymous®.
Opinions expressed are not the opinions of NHI or OA as a whole. Comments about site content, or suggestions, should be sent to the NHI Webmaster.
Permission to use the Overeaters Anonymous logo was granted by the World Service Office of Overeaters Anonymous on March 30, 2016.